Wednesday 26 October 2011

CanTeen quilt update

Ok well a while ago I posted about my bandanas arriving... A few things have happened since then, I have worked out that I have three colour groups that I like...
 The pinks and purples

The blues whites and yellows

 and the one I started with the black red and hints of yellow and blue

Then I added some bold solids - I have to add that with this colour palette I was thinking of guys, cos everyone needs to use a quilt :)
 and selected a backing... (bottom right)

Then I took some time to play with patterns...  the trick was to pay the quilt out in a way to work with the featured bandanas both visually and size wise.
The one I chose for these colours was the pattern with large square in a square blocks (or log cabin variation) alternating with the bandanas. 

The beggining
The first blocks...
A stack of blocks trimmed to size...
A stack of bandana quarters trimmed to size, some I had to unpick the hem because I wanted to feature the text around the outside...

The quilt top all laid out ready to sew together, I just need the dedication block for the missing space (thanks Vicki for the idea )


Its definitely busy, and believe me those pieced blocks do weird things out of the corners of your eyes lol! However its not for me, and I think it works alright together... please give me your thoughts x

2 comments:

  1. Katie, your bright, bold colours look great together! What a clever use of bandanas! Also love your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it looks wonderful.I think haveing the plain colours alternating with the bandanas stops it being so busy. Very modern.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it... I'm still trying to get in the habit of blogging regularly, so please be patient if it takes a me little time to visit you back :)but I will get there lol