Sunday 23 October 2011

The Brisbane Craft and Quilt Expo...

Well I decided that since I have been doing so well with the dizzy giddies lol that I would 'challenge' (treat) myself by going into the city and checking out the Expo last Thursday. It was madness! I thought that by going on a week day I would miss some of the crowd - and I may have done - however it was still chock solid people! Heaps of stalls with product and ideas, everything from quilting through all needlecraft to scrap booking and decoupage... The most exciting part and my main reason for going though was the exhibition, and I have to say it was bigger brighter and more amazing than I imagined.... I took a few hundred photos so please enjoy the ones below :)
Also because there are sooo many I'm not including the pics with the info on them... apologies - if you need more let me know and I'll try and find it! Also they are small as there is 136 (Grab a coffe/tea and a biscuit) but if you click on them it gives you a bigger pic... Sorry re any blurry ones - getting a people free gap was tricky... ok shutting up now :)


Best in show
Judges Choice, Second professional textile art - Yay! this is by Lynne Williams 'Lust for Copper' I am joining they're quilting group 'Arty Pants' and hope to learn a lot!
You may remember it in this picture from the Redlands Extravaganza...


First open machine system quilter

Best hand quilting (hand pieced too)


First amateur small quilt







Best use of colour

First amateur pieced



Best Traditional Quilt


First Professionally pieced



Sorry this is so blurry - it is just cute and the colours worked well





Second professionally pieced



I put this one in, because the fish are cut from fabric and the effect is quite good


First Professional Applique (1800 leaves) please zoom in on the shot below to see a sample of the detail all over




Second Professional Applique







Third Amateur commercially quilted





 The Next 8 Quilts were the State winners this year - they say 'from the Quilters Guild' so whether they are selected by them on merit of various awards won?










The one Below is the National Winner



 Below are the winner and the runner up from the AP&Q 'Seven Deadly Sins' Challenge





Then it moved onto smaller wallhanging and art style quilts


Second professional pictorial - I absolutely love this one, as a painter of sea themes from long back I love the way the fabric works as decaying rusty metal


First professional pictorial

Third amateur textile art
 




Second amateur textile art



First senior-secondary school (16-18)
Then there was a section withe the theme 'Essence of Australia' I think that these might have been invitational submissions, each one was a set of 6 placemat size quilts...






Can you even believe how awesome these are? There are closeups below of the animals - they are gorgeous!

















Then back to the small quilts...

This one is crazy quilt style regarding the embellish... not an inch unstitched

Second professional small quilt


Third professional textile art

First professional textile art, best domestic machine quilting

First amateur textile art

First Amateur pictorial, Best wall quilt

I'm not being rude - look at the wonderful detail and colour transition






First amateur commercially quilted




Not my style at all, but interesting 3D flowers



Second open group / collaborative

Third professionally pieced



Third professionally commercially quilted

Third professional applique

Second professionally commercially quilted

Second amateur pictorial



Then a shibori exhibition





4 comments:

  1. What a huge post! Loving the gloves of wrath and the water reflections. Shame I couldn't go with you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! There is some amazing work here. I love the big wave from the Essence of Australia section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! A huge shame - I had to chat to heaps of random strangers the poor things!... maybe someday we'll be in the same state again on a permanent basis x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what and amazing collection! My favourites are the wave, the circle made of diamond shapes and the one above the Dresdens - but there are so many that are incredible I really can't begin! Each time I look through, different ones jump out at me. The realistic picture ones aren't really my thing but I'm in awe of whoever can do that. Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it... I'm still trying to get in the habit of blogging regularly, so please be patient if it takes a me little time to visit you back :)but I will get there lol