Tuesday 4 October 2011

Today I have a bit of a question...

dark next to light



I thought since there are a few of you lovely ladies coming over from Lynne's that I would take the opportunity to ask a question - or get some thoughts... I have these quarter square triangles that I have cut from strips (I actually used well saw a pattern in the AP&Q that I had to have a go at :)) You can see from the various layout photos that they form crosses and squares - I don't want these to be prominent so I'm not matching my fabric up. I want it to be more random and the focus to be the mass of blues and greens with the hint of purple. Sorry rambling. My question is should I;
A) Blend the fabrics completely to loose the shade diference
B) Keep the shade difference but make it randomly change intensity across the quilt
C) Go for a structured shade change from corner to corner or outside to inside.

I am as of yet undecided - the project has been put aside for more urgent work, and I'd love your thoughts :)


even distribution of shades

dark and light in foreground and medium behind

This block is about 18" square and hand sewn (yes I need to add those final white bits oops ) I drew it up on an architectural drafting program, and made it not quite symmetrical so the angles change slightly as it moves out. I am unsure whether to make it the central star in a crib or bassinet quilt, or a cushion for a rocking chair - please feel free to give your opinion!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Katie. Thought I would take a minute to visit your blog. I do like the idea of the shading from side to side. Very nice blocks. I look forward to checking back to see what you decided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the medium one where you get a little random pop of colour. You could put the star in the middle of these blocks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Thanks for following my blog. I've popped over to visit and follow you back! I'm undecided about which way I like your blocks best. They look good in all arrangements, Janine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the star! I like all the arrangements of your blocks but I think the bottom photo (dark and light) is my favourite...maybe sit on it for a while and let your brain work it out! Thanks so much for your comment on my blog - I hope you don't mind me replying here but you're currently a 'no-reply' blogger so your comment didn't have an email address attached to it...here are the links to the hexalong that Lynne at Lily's Quilts ran over the summer http://lilysquilts.blogspot.com/2011/07/hexalong-starts-here.html and the Flickr group where a lot of the hexies are gathered http://www.flickr.com/groups/lilysquilts/. My hexies have a side of 3" and, I think, are just over 6" wide at the widest point. They are hand pieced (I used freezer paper templates) and are very addictive - I'd recommend them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment over on my blog! I've subscribed to yours now and look forward to seeing what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, you don't have an email address linked to your blogger account so I couldn't reply to your comment directly but the Cabbages and Roses union jack pattern was released as part of the line by Moda and can be bought as a kit. There is also a pattern along these lines which you can buy called the Victory Garden pattern if you don't want to buy a whole kit.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it... I'm still trying to get in the habit of blogging regularly, so please be patient if it takes a me little time to visit you back :)but I will get there lol