Saturday 2 July 2011

Danielle's Bag

Like most people I have a long list of things that I am working through, at the moment I am desperately trying to finish off one baby present that is already three months late, and another that I've yet to really get onto for a baby that was born first!

Anyhow, this is another of the long list of projects that I have been trying to get to for over 6 months and since last week my sister was up in Brisbane with us for work I thought it was time I made her a replacement bag... Especially since this distraction was not a hard one :)

This is her old bag, or I should say original as until it dies it will be in service! Its a raw edge satchel with a hanging mesh internal pocket, its around the same size as a briefcase.
So I talked to her and we decided to go with a black canvas outside and some sort of funky novelty inside - she had to work when I went shopping so darn it I had to buy ALL the possible choices! (Got some lovely Matryoshka fabric too) she went with the Japanese red with owls... The construction is really simple because of the raw edges, I got some vliesofix and made one fabric out of the two, made a calico template from the old bag and cut away... 
The other thing that made the construction easier was the addition of a twin needle, I got a size 100 denim strength, with a 6mm gap between the needles (and a spare just in case) so when I sewed around the double stitch was neat - it worked a treat, although for added strength I went over the internal side with a single straight stitch.
I then decided to add some extra pockets - some black faced slip on the inside and two small owl fabric ones on the outside under the flap... A small feature piece of owl fabric to the flap and the velcro fastners later and I was ready to attach the strap... I bought a 100 yard roll 2" of polypropylene webbing from USA that I've used on several projects, it cost $77.25US including shipping (just the roll was $23.00US), the website is perfectfit if anyone is interested.

So this is the outside of the finished product.
With the front flap open; you can see the feature small pockets - also raw edged
Sorry about the angle on this one, the fabric is stiff and wouldn't stay open. The inside, with the mesh picket attached only at the top, and the large slip pockets on the other side.
 Now that I've taken photos It'll be going in the mail on Monday - hopefully Dan enjoy's it half as much as the old one!

3 comments:

  1. It looks great. Of course she'll love it, you made it for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the twin needle, I assume you need a special attachment and another foot? I haven't seen anything like it... info please : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. no none of the above its a shingle shaft needle with a tbar and then two needles coming off it :) It will say in the hand book if the machine can do it, and it makes a sort of zigzag on the back as there's only one bobbin

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it... I'm still trying to get in the habit of blogging regularly, so please be patient if it takes a me little time to visit you back :)but I will get there lol