Thursday 25 August 2011

AP&Q block competition No 2

I have to add I was lucky enough to win one of the 8 fabric parcels again! There's another comp on this month - see the latest AP&Q its well worth entering :)... In fact the more I talk to people at exhibitions the more I hear the same thing that there are less people entering often because they feel they aren't good enough. I tried these and found it fun, you end up trying new techniques and surprising yourself, and you never know you might win a prize....

 
This next Leutenegger Fabric competition was a country theme - now I have never done anything country to date nor really much fusible style applique, but the beauty of a block challenge is the opportunity to play and explore without having to think of what to do with said solitary block afterwards!
So here are my offerings for this challenge (plus since I won last time I sorta felt I needed to do more for charity lol)
Block 1: cabin in the trees
The first block was predominantly using some fabrics I'd won in an eBay scrap bag of rust tones - perfect I thought for this sort of thing... Th most enjoyable part was the thread-work and the fact that I just cut the shapes out as I went - there was no pattern or plan. Lol in hindsight I would have made the cabin wider to make it look a little softer, but overall I'm happy with the tones and the stitching.
Block 2: Buzzin' around
Again with this one I made it up as I went - although I did quickly hand draw a flower template and a bee template. The thread-work was even more fun it felt so relaxing watching the bee come to life and the flowers start to dance!
I have to admit I was a little pushed for time as I've been working on another competition piece... more anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it... I'm still trying to get in the habit of blogging regularly, so please be patient if it takes a me little time to visit you back :)but I will get there lol